Saturday, May 12, 2012

Running in Roma

It's starting to feel more and more like home here. I successfully used an Italian washing machine (almost 90 minutes for one load of wash through the washing machine)! I hand-washed most of my clothes because the washing machine is so small. It has been a lazy Saturday here, which is what most of my Saturdays are like at home too.

I finally went on my first run (really, I jog...but who likes the word jog? Sounds too much like the 90's) and it was amazing! There is a paved bike path along the Tiber River that I walk over every time I cross a bridge, so we knew where to head but we weren't sure of more than that. Emily, Thea, and I walked down the stairs to the path and ran to the end of it; a few miles from here is a completely different Roma. The historical beauty of the city was absent when we went out that far, but I still enjoyed every moment. It is just hot enough out to make you uncomfortable, but not so hot that I couldn't stand running in the heat. I'm very happy I finally went on that first run because now I know exactly where to go always. Working out while I am here is definitely not a big concern, but there are two reasons I think it will work to my benefit. First, I want to blend my lifestyle from home with the Italian lifestyle in order to have the best experience. Second, I will not feel so bad about eating endless gelato or cannoli. Ha!

The past two days have been wonderful. Yesterday morning we had class at the Forum and explored the scenic views from the top of the Capitol building. We had to pick up information packets for our trip next week to Florence and Venice at the Pantheon Institute in the afternoon; once we did that, some of us went to the grocery store and replenished the food we keep going through so quickly. By the end of the afternoon, I had walked all around the city in different directions! Emily, Lane, Lee, the other Emily and I went out to dinner in a restaurant Trastevere (our neighborhood). Our waiter was this precious old man who made the mediocre food worth the time at the restaurant. I'm excited for the night when we find truly excellent Italian food, because that hasn't happened yet. After dinner, most of the group went out together. Italian night life is amazing! It was lively, loud, chaotic, and fun. Our group of about 10 girls had a fun night together.

Tonight, we are attempting to make chicken parm without bread crumbs because they were nowhere to be found in the grocery store. Our efforts to communicate what bread crumbs are miserably failed. It was pretty funny. Yesterday, we made my Mom's version of caprese salad for lunch! Everyone loved it Mom :) I even took a picture. I have to write my child observation logs, read more, and write a paper by the end of the weekend. I guess I should go get started on that! Ciao!


No comments:

Post a Comment