Saturday, May 26, 2012

A Busy Week of School Work

After returning from a week of travel this past Monday, stress set in. In the past few days, I had a paper, project, assignment, logs, and many readings due. It was the busiest week of work I have had yet, and I am glad it's over!

Looking back on the past few weeks, I actually have learned a lot in my classes. Friday marked the end of my 'History of the Italian Families' class; during which I studied the lives of Ancient Roman families, Medieval Florentine families, and Jewish families of Rome. I read three books on these topics and found the Jewish families of Rome section the most interesting. Before exploring the Jewish Ghetto on Thursday's field trip, my class took part in a mock trial of Giovanni and Lusana's marriage on Wednesday, part of the unit on medieval Florence. For the Jewish Families section, I read part of the book Benevolence and Betrayal: Five Italian Families Under Fascism, by Alexander Stille. I would highly recommend it! The assigned section for class was about a family living in Rome during World War II in the Jewish Ghetto, which is the neighborhood I walk through everyday on my way to class at the Pantheon Institute. My professor pointed out the location of the family's store discussed in the book, which is now a hair salon. After reading, I was thrilled at the chance to experience the same setting of the book. My class went to the Synagogue and Jewish Museum of the Ghetto. Our tour guide was excellent, taking us through two of the synagogues while reinforcing and adding to what we had already learned about in our reading. The museum attached to the building is also a great resource for learning about the history Judaism in Italy.

On Friday, my family presentation was due. My group presented on the Frescobaldi family and our wonderful experience on the restaurant. I am glad we chose that family because it made for a very enjoyable presentation. Once my family presentation was over with yesterday, I breathed a sigh of relief for making it through the week.

My professor leaves this week and will be replaced by the second professor in the program. I am excited to move on to the next two classes, Italian Relationships and Early Childhood in Italy, because I am not much of a history person :)

I probably could have traveled somewhere this weekend, but I wanted to get ahead on school work. It's been nice so far having a relaxing weekend in Rome! Yesterday afternoon a few of us explored for a few hours and found some good shopping and about 5 different gelato places we are dying to try. It's a terrible thing how delicious gelato is. Really. It is. This morning I woke up early (I still can't sleep in, ever.) and went to the cafe right by the apartment for breakfast. I had a caffe latte and a yummy pastry. The staff are friendly and were happy to learn that I am a student at the Pantheon Institute. Then, I headed to the grocery store and could barely carry home what I bought. I like trying new things, but I have mostly been buying the same groceries because eating familiar foods in the apartment encourages me to eat unfamiliar foods when I go out to eat. Also, I can't read most of the labels in the grocery store so it's a little hard to even know what I am buying sometimes...!

I am off to do some more homework and continue a relaxing weekend at Home (in Rome? Home? Crazy to say that!) Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment