Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Final Fourteen Days

I'll get around to writing about these more in depth at some point in the next week, because it's really important to me that years from now I can read about my experience on this blog, but for now I'll just write a little bit. I am flying home tomorrow morning. In one way, I am thrilled to be going home and seeing my family and friends. In another, I hate to leave behind Italy... I have grown to love it here immensely. 52 days abroad, and I truly think I have been changed by this experience.

Quick note on the past two weeks:

Class/School: The final days of class were rough. I can't believe I got through 9 credits (3 classes) in such a short period of time. By the end of the trip, though, everything was really repetitive and all of us were tired of the same routine. Some good field trips offered a change of pace but I have to admit that class got pretty frustrating. Thank goodness it's over :) !

Greece: I went to Greece for 3 days with Emily, Lane, and Lee. It was the absolute best 3 days I could have asked for. The weekend was timed perfectly; we were exhausted from schoolwork and definitely needed different scenery. I stayed in Thessaloniki, Greece's 2nd largest city to Athens, at a spectacular hostel. All weekend I encountered Greek hospitality and had some of the yummiest food of my life (Sorry, Italy). It was a splendid adventure. I spent a day on the Halkidiki peninsula at a beach called Athitos. I went to an archeological museum in the city. I loved Greece and will absolutely be back to the beautiful country again some day.

Sicily: I was both nervous and excited for this trip. Emily, Lane, and I booked airfare together that allowed us to travel for a week together after the program was over. We decided on Sicily and Sorrento. In hindsight, two perfect places for three girls looking for relaxation and adventure. We stayed at a lovely B&B in Catania, Sicily. We took our time exploring the city and kept everything slow-paced so we didn't feel overwhelmed. Sicily, though part of Italy, is vastly different from the mainland. For one, Catania is not overrun with tourists like other major Italian cities. It is also right on the ocean, which is probably the number one reason we went there. The beach was odd, but still really fun. We left Catania on the train headed for Naples. The train ride was 8 looooong hours!

Sorrento: We arrived in Naples and took the regional train to Sorrento. I stayed in Sorrento in high school, and was slightly hesitant to go back because of this, but I have no regrets. Sorrento is beautiful, peaceful, and filled with people on vacation. We encountered many friendly business people and stayed at a hotel that was mysteriously dubbed a "hostel" but was very beautiful. I explored Sorrento for a day, and then took a boat tour of the Amalfi coast for a day. The boat tour is one of the highlights of being abroad. It was simply fantastic. Since my family bought a boat many years ago, I have developed a love for being on a boat in open water. We spent about 4 hours doing just that on this tour. I was a happy girl. 

Today, we took a high-speed train back to Rome. I am staying here for one night before I fly home tomorrow. I'm blessed to have had this experience and forever grateful for my parents for allowing me this opportunity. I learned through course work, but I also learned through experience. I love traveling and cannot wait to plan my next international journey.

Here are my 2 favorite pictures from Greece. I'll upload more later when my camera isn't packed away!
Athitos Beach on the Halkidiki Peninsula

On a Short Cruise of the Thessaloniki Harbor

No comments:

Post a Comment